Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Howdy Y'all

I'm Teresa AKA Affectioknitter and my blog is http://affectioknit.blogspot.com/ I'm a Southern Girl living and knitting in the upper midwest...

I've been knitting since I was 8 (1969 - I never lie about my age) - so that was a long long time ago - when my sister and I were rummaging through one of our Great Grandmother's trunks and found a ball of thin blue yarn (really thin for 8 year old fingers) - probably a sock or fingering yarn and a pair of bakelite knitting needles (size 5 - which I still have)

and a really old book called "We Tend to Our Knitting" - so I went running to my Mom and asked her to teach me to knit - she claimed not to know how to knit - (but I found out later that a missionary visiting my grandmother had actually taught her to knit when she was a little girl too!) - but she and my Nanny (paternal grandmother - in whose house the trunk was found - who crochets but doesn't knit) - sat at the table and looked at the pictures in the booklet and helped me hold the needles correctly - and voila an avid knitter (addict) was born...

As I mentionned earlier in this ramble - the blue yarn was very thin - so when we got home - my Mom pulled out a pink shawl that she had started knitting when I was a baby (remember I was eight - so this yarn was 8 years old and very crinkly - still it was better than the blue...) and frogged it for me to have some yarn that was easier to work with - I think I made a potholder with the pink yarn. My first wearable project was a straight garter-stitch boat-neck red and white striped sweater that I wore for years - the front back and sleeves were all just rectangles of garter stitch sewn together to make a sweater.

So there you have my knitting (love) story - I love to knit...

4 comments:

torrance said...

damn, you beat me by 5 minutes
:)

Dawn said...

Hi Teresa,
Where in the South do you come from? My growing up family lived in College Station (actually Bryan), TX. Not necessarily South, but midwesterns think so. I also now live in the Midwest, Wisconsin to be exact. It isn't really the Midwest, but Wisconsinites like to think so. For the most part, I like living here, except for the seven-month winters:) My dogs love it.
I was born in 1969 (I don't lie about my age either, I rather like it), good things happened in '69..including one person becoming a knitter!
I know your knitter wisdom will benefit me immensely.
Dawn

Dawn said...

PS - Please let me know on your blog or here what you think of your Soy-Quick Milk Maker. I'm addicted to Silk Soy Milk but find it to be expensive and it doesn't come in recyclable containers! Maybe wrong place to post a comment but I don't care:)
Dawn

affectioknit2 said...

Hi Dawn,

I grew up in the mountains of NC not far from Asheville - I'll post about SoyQuick today - love it...