Friday, September 14, 2007

Yarn Substitution

You remember that I was going to run out of yarn for my Monkey socks - and you may also remember that the 'flash' yarn I was using was three distinct strands in different colors - so while I was at 'Stuff Mart' the other day - I walked past the embroidery thread display and noticed the many many colors they have. Hmmmm I thought - I bet I can match my sock yarn with that. So I went out to the car and got a piece of yarn(I rarely go anywhere without my knitting bag) and chose three colors which I thought closely matched. The little skeins are about 9 yards each and I think I only need enough for about the last inch or so of sock.

and at 10¢ each - I will spend about 60¢ to finish my sock.

I have an old drop spindle and I plied the yarn - it's a pretty close match - but in natural light I can see that the blue is brighter and the olive is darker than the original - the lime is still a good match. I shouldn't have tried to match under 'stuff mart's' flourescent lights.

Stuff Mart = walmart - if you watch the Veggie Tales Madame Blueberry - that's the store she gets all her 'stuff' at - so we've called it that since the Man-Cub was little - very appropriate...

1 comment:

VeganCraftastic said...

That is such a good idea for yarn substitution!